Friday, March 11, 2011

Friday Free For All Sports Fix …..Volume 18.0

Friday Free For All Sports Fix …..Volume 18.0
By: J-Shannon
Can you smell that? It’s the smell of Green Beer, half naked women, and possibly a faint whiff of some dude puking in the bathroom. Yes this conglomerate of smells can only mean one thing: its St. Patty’s Day time. Not that anyone of us need an excuse to get hammered, But St. Patty’s Day provides everyone a “Get Hammered with no Consequences” pass. This weekend, I may stop by Peachtree Tavern for Luckyfest, which is their annual shit-hammered event. Well, since I’ve now ruined your never ending Friday by making you dream about how awesome St. Patty’s Day weekend is, allow me to provide you a little entertainment to enjoy while hiding in your cubicle acting like you are actually working. Here it is Boys and Girls, the Friday Morning Free for All, and all its Glory…….

--The “I THINK YOU SHOULD KNOW” Story from this Week:
1-Kemba Walker is for Real…….
So if you haven’t had a chance to watch any of the Big East Tournament, you’re missing out. The games are great, and they are some of the best college basketball you’ll see all year. I will throw out a quote my old friend Kyle Pipkin said to me: “The Big East is overrated as usual. They will play good basketball until it counts, and come up short in the tournament….”
Well, Thursday afternoon there was a damn good game going down to the wire between UCONN and PITT. With 18 Seconds to go and the game tied, UCONN calls a timeout, and sets up a play for the win.
Everyone in the building knows that Star Kemba Walker is going to take the last shot. But the way the shot was set up is what I liked. On the inbound, Coach Calhoun of UCONN set up a pick and roll situation. Why? He was hoping to get the switch, so that 6’11’’, 250 lb. Center Gary McGhee would end up on the sick-nasty Walker….. The result…….


--Thing that Have Pissed Me off This Week
1-Tattoo University Suspensions…..
If you have ever read anything I have ever written, you know that I’m as big of a fan of the NCAA as the Human Society is of MV7. I think when it comes to hypocrisy, the NCAA wrote the book. So if you haven’t been keeping track of the allegations involving Ohio State, let me give you the highlights…..
-5 Players were suspended at the end of last year for receiving improper benefits for selling Bowl Championship Rings, jerseys, and awards to a tattoo parlor in exchange for tattoos.
-The players are suspended for the first 5 games of this season. They were ALLOWED to play in the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans even after the suspension was announced, although I think that was BS.
-As it turns out, Head Coach Jim “Don’t mess with my sweater vest” Tressel, knew about the boys selling goods and getting benefits the whole time, but didn’t report what he knew.
This week, emails were revealed showing that the coach was warned by multiple people that the players were breaking NCAA rules. Tressel’s response: “Keep me posted as to what I need to do if anything. I will keep pounding these kids to grow up….jt.”
Ohio State “self imposed” disciplinary actions on their Head Coach. His punishment: 2 Games suspension and $250,000 fine. Really?  That’s all the guy gets? Tressel has to pay a $250,000 fine, which I’m sure any of the OSU boosters will be happy to pay, and has to sit out 2 games. The head coach will be at home with his feet kicked up in the recliner drinking a glass of wine (the man isn’t Bro enough for a good ol fashion ‘merican) wearing a tie and sweater vest while his team plays Akron and Toledo. Wouldn’t you have attempted to cover up this scandal if you knew you’re only punishment would be to sit out games against 2 high school teams? Do you honestly think Coach Tressel gives a shit that he is missing games against these two cakewalks?
I think that the NCAA needs to step in an actually impose a suspension that hurts Ohio State and Coach Tressel. I would classify the school imposed sanctions as a slap on the wrist, but I think that’s too harsh of a term for his punishment……..

2-Guy at Gym…..
This one will be quick…. After a solid workout, when I’m nasty and sweaty, the last thing I want to walk in the locker room and see is an old D-Bag blow-drying himself off butt ass naked. Get a towel Old Man River……


--Youtube Clips of the Week:
1. This one is courtesy of Extra Mustard on SI.com. Hey Blake Griffin, put this in your pipe and smoke it……

2. I’m a huge fan of Hockey hits…. The harder the better (that’s what she said). But this hit looks like it went a bit too far…..


--My Favorite Sports Movie Scene of the Week:
New category, but it’s really simple. Here is where I’m going to put in some of the absolute best sports movie scenes of all time…. This week:
Before you all start saying what I know you are going to say….. I know this clip is included in the sports video section of the website. But you know what, it is such a good clip, I feel it would be disrespecting the video if I didn’t include it in the Favorite Sports Movie Clips. Believe it or not, I played this speech for our Editor/Chief Chris McDonald, 30 minutes before his wedding to get him pumped. True Story……..


--Real Men of Genius Bro of the Week:
In honor of the kickoff of the 2011 NASCAR season, I felt it was only right to dedicate a portion of my Friday Free for All for the next few weeks to the “Real Men of Genius,” presented by ice cold ‘Merican Bud Light. This week, Bro Nameth Salutes you…….
Mr. 80 SPF Sunblock Wearer……



--Shout-Outs for the Week:
*Yogi Berra- One of the game’s greatest was taken to a Florida Hospital yesterday after tripping and falling before a pre-season Yankees game….. Berra is A-OK though…..
*Brandon Merriweather- Shout-out to Merriweather for handling a situation as an adult this weekend. Apparently he got into a little altercation over the weekend, and decided the best way to calm the situation down would be to shoot 2 people. Merriweather is being accused of shooting 2 men outside of a nightclub.
*Refs from St. John’s Game- Shit happens, everyone makes mistakes….. don’t sweat it……
*Baby hands Clancy- Bro Nameth wants to send a shout out to you and your incredible need to be the best at exercising. Thanks for the support….


As always, it’s been a pleasure. Leave a comment if you disagree with anything I got to say, and I’ll prove to you why you are wrong….. Check in again Monday Suckazzzzz.
 

Blogger

Join the Council

Bro Nameth T-Shirts

Bro Nameth T-Shirts
Just Bro It.

BroNamethSports (BroNamethSports) on Twitter