Wednesday, January 19, 2011

What the Hell Happened? My Free Agency and Draft Wish List

This last Saturday was one of the worst Atlanta Sports moments I have had in a long time.

Watching the Packers move the ball up and down the field with such ease was like getting kicked in the nutz over and over again and not being able to stop it. Aaron Rodgers would have scored 48 points even if we had 15 guys on defense. It is amazing to me that a team who had played so well, was coming off a bye, playing at HOME and seemed to have some momentum could come out at and be so bad. Not only did it seem like we made no adjustments on defense, but anytime we were in position to make a play we failed.

After the Eric Weems kick off return it was big for our defense to come out and get a stop to sustain the momentum gained from that return. The drive started off great for us as Starks fumbled the kickoff out of bounds at around the 8 yard line. Green Bay ends up marching the ball right down the field with ease to tie the score at 14. With the lack of defense we have now shown for most of the game, ALL of the pressure is now on the offense to move the ball and get some points. We don't and out comes the juggernaut that is the Packer offense. They once again mow through the Falcon D like The Situation mows through women as he beats the beat on Jersey Shore. 21-14 Packers.

At this point is is almost imperitive we score before the half ends since GB gets the ball the start the second half. The falcons are on about the 35 yard line with 8 seconds left and no timeouts since we just called 1. Now, as a defensive player I know the falcons have really 2 options.
  1. A quick out to gain 5-7 yards to make a shorter FG attempt
  2. A bomb to the end zone and if incomplete hopefully a second left for the long FG
The Falcons called timeout so I am going to assume that the playcall came from Mularkey. Tramond Williams, who lets just say probobly is a little smarter than I, knows the above 2 points. So what do the Falcons do? They roll Ryan out to cut the field down by 70% and give him 1 option to throw to. Which he does and boom...pick 6 game over! I am not giving Ryan a free pass for the throw because the throw is just plain awful and you absolutely NEVER make that throw. However, the playcall deserves some criticism as well. To be honest it really wouldn't have mattered either way because the Packers would have scored 60 points if they had to.

The Falcons played their worst game they have played all year and got wooped. Stepping back now we just ran into a buzzsaw in Green Bay and couple that with the worst game we have played all year and thats a recipe for disaster. There are times in professionjal sports where you just dont "have it". The Jets 3 weeks ago got beat by 42 at New England! Then they come back and beat the Patriots convinceingly last week. Its just how it goes sometimes.

I started thinking to myself how I always talk about the Atlanta Braves being a failure since the goal is to win the World Series every year NOT just make the playoffs. While this is 100% true for them, it isn't for the Falcons. This season WAS a success since we won the division and lets be honest the Falcons have never had 3 years runnning like they have the last 3. Now if the same thing happens next year then absolutely the season is an epic fail. In a way you know you have arrived when you lose in the first round and everyone is pissed off and mad.

I think as a whole the team is very well built. You have very good if not elite players at every level on the team. I think we need another explosive playmaker on offense and we need to add a player at every level on defense.

Free Agency (this is a WISH list)

I know that the odds we get these guys are small but I am still believe we could land a big FA and a few smaller ones that could really improve the team.

Mercedes Lewis (Tight End): Don't get me wrong I love Tony Gonzalez but the guy is getting up their in age and Lewis is a baller. We could lock him up for a 4-5 year deal and have a core of White, Ryan, Turner and Lewis and be set for the next 4-5. I really think this is a guy we could get.

Vincent Jackson (WR): VJax is a beast and is Michael Jenkins but with more speed and can catch. He is going to get paid by somebody and since we reupped Jenkins this prob wont happen but would be nice.

Champ Bailey (DB): Champ is a little older but still runs well and while he is not the "shutdown" corner he used to be he would still be the best corner on the team. I think we could get for 6-7 million a year and that would move Dunta off of the #1 and onto the #2 receiver where he could be more effective. Bailey has great man to man skills and I think this is  a signing that could really help us.

Ray Edwards (DE): I think the biggest help the defense could get would be on the defensive line especially in the pass rush. Abraham can only do so much himself and if you stuck someone like Edwards opposite him that could be a deadly pass rush. What is a similar trait for all the remaining teams in the playoffs? They have a great pass rush whether its through the front 4 or mixing up their looks with their front 4.

There are some lower end Free Agents that I would like as well but a few of them I KNOW the Falcons would never sign because its not "the falcon way". Adding someone like Randy Moss or Terrell Owens would be great for our offense IMO but I know because of the baggage they bring their is no chance that would happen. Randy Moss opposite Roddy White coupled with the running game of Michael Turner would be ridiculous. He would have 4-5 1 on 1 chances a game where we could potentially hit a HUGE play.

Draft Wish List

Allen Bailey (DE/LB) Miami: I have done a lot of research regarding the draft and have easily read 20-30 Mock Drafts. Most of them have the Falcons taking an offensive lineman since we have a few FA's on the O Line. Bailey is a physical freak who can play the OLB spot or rush the passer from the end. Abraham is 32 and depending on what we do in Free Agency we have got to get younger on the ends. Biermann is what he is. A decent pass rusher but I think Bailey could be a great pick here.

Cameron Heyward (DE) Ohio State: See the above post. Heyward is a freak as well and I think would step right in and start. His dad, the late great Craig "Ironhead" Heyward played for Atlanta.

Titus Young (WR) Boise State: I know I always knock on Boise State but Titus Young is a player. Hes fast as hell and could really help the Falcons stretch the field. I am thinking we could get him with our late 2nd round pick or even with our 3rd.

Demarco Murray (RB) Oklahoma: I know RB is really low on our list but Murray is just too explosive to pass up. A lot of Mock Drafts have him dropping into the 3rd round and if so I think this would be a steal. Hes a homerun threat whether running it or catching it out of the backfield. People need to go ahead and get jerious Norwood out of their heads because hes a walking body cast every year. Murray has had some knick knack injuries while at OK but I think this could be a great pick if we could snatch him in the 3rd round.

Potential Sleepers:

Cliff Matthews (DE) South Carolina: Freakishly big could be a great 3-4 LB/DE
Andy Dalton (QB) TCU: All the guy does is win
Greg Jones (LB) Mich State: Not really a sleeper but the guy is a tackling machine.
Randall Cobb (WR) kentucky: Mr. All everything at Kentucky. Would love him on the Falcons. Can help in a lot of ways

5 comments:

TJ Eckleburg12 said...

Agree completely with the post-mortem

I don't have any real targets on MY wish list... I actually just love that we have Dimitroff calling the shots and knowing that he's way smarter than everybody else in the league. Whomever we end up getting, I'll be excited about them then.

Hahaha it was SOOOOOO awesome when he kept making gangster moves in the 4th-7th round to take guys I'd never, ever heard of!

TJ Eckleburg12 said...

...as 7th round Kroy Biermann flat OUTPLAYED Jamal Anderson from DAY 1

TJ Eckleburg12 said...

Also, since I can't think of any better place to tell ya about this, two blogs that I'm positive all of you will love and you all really should read:

Braves and Birds, the Atlanta Sports Blog. Some lawyer named Michael writes it, he's a passionate and intelligent fan. Whenever stuff happens to Atlanta sports that troubles me, he tells me what to think, and then everything will be ok.

http://bravesandbirds.blogspot.com/2011/01/there-must-be-some-way-out-of-here-said.html

And Joe Posnanski's blog. If you don't know him, he's a senior writer for SI, and is basically the best and greatest sports writer alive. Sucks for him that he lives in KC, and sometimes he gets a little ADD and long-winded, but I at least skim everything he writes online. Every time somebody dies or retires he feels the need to write something really great about them, lol

http://joeposnanski.blogspot.com/2011/01/retirement-of-meche.html

Chris_Mcdonald said...

Krieger- You are spot on with Biermann. I like Biermann because he plays hard. JA is dead to me. If not for Jamarcus Russell he is easily the worst draft pick in recent memory. If I am not mistaken I believe he has 2 sacks in 4 years!! Are you kidding me?

Thanks for the other blogs. I love reading others thoughts on Atlanta sports and really any sports for that matter. I will add them to the blogroll.

I have heard of Posnanski but havent read much of his stuff. I will check it out. Thanks!

How is the poker coming?

TJ Eckleburg12 said...

much better lately after that whiny emo post about how everyone's getting smarter and I'm getting dumber

kind of a knock to my pride to be playing lower stakes than I'm used to, but it's kinda fun being the tallest midget again and owning people all day

 

Blogger

Join the Council

Bro Nameth T-Shirts

Bro Nameth T-Shirts
Just Bro It.

BroNamethSports (BroNamethSports) on Twitter